Thursday, August 28, 2008

Top 5 Reasons Why I'm Excited

Usually, I'm a pretty chill, laid-back person, so it may seem like I aint that excited about going abroad. Plus, I've been dealing with some tough emotions recently, so I just wanna put it out there that I am extremely excited to have this opportunity. You know that I don't get giddy or geeked up for nothing but movies & hip-hop, but I'm gonna break down my top 5 reasons for being giddy to go to Dublin:

1) Dublin is a young & vibrant city

From everything I've read, it seems like Dublin is an amazing city that not too many people know about here in the US. Other cities & countries in Europe have the big names & everyone and they mama have visited those countries but I'm excited to learn about a city that seems to have so much to offer. Its a fact that at least 50% of Dublin's population is under the age of 25, so that tells me that I aint about to be too bored come nighttime. Also, everyone that I know who has been there tells me that the Irish are extremely friendly & talkative people (just my type, right!). I just read that, in '07, Dublin was named the friendliest city in Europe. It also has been named as the 5th richest city in the world in '08. The city is very technologically advanced & still is in an economic boom, which means I'mma try to find a side hustle & stack some Euros.

2) Ireland has a rich history in the arts

Now, I'm gonna be honest & admit to the fact that I failed on my summer reading, which was supposed to center on Irish literature. But best believe that somebody will catch me up when I'm over there because its no secret that great writers of all forms have come from Ireland. Names such as James Joyce, W.B. Yeats, George Bernard Shaw, Oscar Wilde, Samuel Beckett, Johnathan Swift, & Bram Stoker carry weight, point blank. These people are Nobel laureates, best selling authors, people you prolly had read in English class at some point, its impressive, so I can respect that. Actors such as Colin Farrell, Gabriel Bryne, & Stephen Rea all came outta Ireland, so hopefully this conservatory I'm going to can give me some of the skills they have.

3) I'm studying at a conservatory

And not just any conservatory, but the premier conservatory for actors in Ireland (Which has added to my nervousness, but eh whatever). I've loved my experience so far in the AUC studying drama, but we don't have the funding for the more in-depth classes that are offered at a conservatory. I feel like this experience will help me refine my skills & help me develop technique, which is different than I've gotten in the AUC. My experiences at Spelman & Clark have given me the confidence to be an actor, along with inspiring me to have the heart needed to be an actor, so hopefully The Gaiety School of Acting can give me techniques to take me to another level. I'm just trying to build my resume & make some new connections, so let's hope & pray that I'm successful.

4) I got another chance to start over

I'm proud that I've found my place in the AUC over the past 3 years & also in that time I've solidified my core circle of friends. It took a long time & a lot of mistakes to get it right, but I love those around me & they've been great to me. But just like with anything, there are some things I wished I could change. This opportunity will allow me to have a fresh start to redefine myself & test my boundaries. There are certain things I have to be to certain people & certain things I can't do or may be uncomfortable doing with my folks at home or at school, so this'll hopefully allow me to try new things with a clean slate. Some things I'm sure I'll keep with me & some things I'm sure I'll look back on like, "Damn dude, you fucked up." But ain't this the time for me to do this?

5) A Global Perspective

Now, do I think that I'll actually have an global perspective after 15 weeks in Dublin? Hell naw! But this experience will definitely help me expand my understanding of how people live outside of America. I'm damn proud to be an American (yea, I said it!) and I'm sure I'll stick out like a sore thumb as being that American dude, but that don't mean I won't be over there trying to learn something. I've barely been off the East Coast, as I've said a bunch of times (sorry), so this is a blessing to me. I'm a sponge when in a new scenario & I'm always searching for sources of inspiration, so look for a brotha to have a lot to say when I return with my new, broader, more mature outlook on the world!

No comments: