Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Lesson In Theater Etiquette

One of my favorite parts about this IES program is that we get to see a lot of top notch theater as part of our Contemporary Irish Drama class. The Dublin Theater Festival is going on right now, and with that being a major festival, we're lucky to be able to see some its biggest shows. I've already seen UK legend Michael Gambon (Dumbledore from Harry Potter for us US folks) & we're getting to see Fiona Shaw (she's like the Meryl Streep of theater) perform next month , so its an experience I'm extremely grateful to have. But the one thing that bugs me about going to the theatre over here is that people don't stand or cheer for anything they like. It reeks of pretentiousness to me, and I know that probably makes me sound like the arrogant or ignorant American, but screw that, I'm just real about it.

We went to see a show called Dodgems this last week, which was really entertaining, I'd give it 3.5 outta 5 stars. I ain't know what was going on most of the time, but it sho did look nice! Lol, let me stop playin around. Now, Dodgems is a piece of physical theater, meaning that its about making images & utilizing space, dancing & movement rather than following a typical literary plot structure. There was some dialogue & stories being told, but it was essentially a dance piece. In the finale, the one brotha they had in the show did an amazing tap dance routine that brought the house down. I mean, this brotha was hoofin' (later we were told that he was one of Savion Glover's dancers from Bring In Da Noise, Bring In Da Funk) & of course, in the black tradition, I was ready to shout & show the brotha some love. But I was conflicted cause, while this brotha is hoofin' up a storm, everybody was quiet, so I ain't wanna be the uncouth Negro in the spot & I held back at first. But it got so bad that the brotha was hoofin' & he yelled out, "Where you at, Dublin?" & as soon he said that, my censor shut off. So, your typical "Get It!", "I See You!" etc etc refraints were shouted & probably a couple more things as well. Then at the end when it was done & the whole cast came out for their big bow, people were hesitating to stand for the ovation, even though I clearly could see that at least the other people in my program were ready to hop up with the quickness. Thankfully, my friend Emily hopped up just I was getting to the edge of my seat & a couple others followed suit as well.

Now, while I'm not the biggest supporter of standing ovations in the States, I still believe that if something is deserving of it, you give it to them. I think people back home give too many standing ovations that don't mean anything, but I know I'm only standing if I was moved in some way. Other than that, it'll be a polite clap. As a performer, the feeling of getting a standing ovation is like heaven on earth. To me, that means whatever I did, it you in a special place. And if that is true, the only appropriate response to me it stand up & cheer a lil bit (you ain't gotta get ignorant with it now). Over here in Europe, they don't stand or cheer for nothing, which signals to me that nothing is special to these people. I know that's probably not true, they probably do love certain things & not show it, but still you can't tell me every show deserves the same polite clap. That's like saying if Soulja Boy was Jay-Z's opening act, they both should get the same applause. How ridiculous is that? My point is: This whole polite soceity, we don't stand & cheer like y'all wild Americans, mentality is bogus. If you're moved, let the performer know clearly & definitively, its only right.

No comments: